Mihăileni (Csíkszentmihály) is located 13 km north of Miercurea Ciuc (Csíkszereda), in the valley of the Rákos stream. It takes its name from its medieval church dedicated to the Archangel St. Michael. According to the papal tithe register of 1333, the village, called Sancto Michaele, had a church consecrated in the early 14th century.
Its single nave church, with 2,5-3 m high walls and a sacristy on the side, is located in the centre of the village. After the Tatars burnt the village on 13 February 1694, the original church tower was largely destroyed.
There are also clay quarries on the outskirts of the village.